Kanye Adventist Hospital is a mission hospital owned by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Botswana and currently operated in partnership between the Church and the Government of Botswana. As such the hospital forms part of the public health system of Botswana, functioning at the level of District Hospital. The Hospital was started in 1922 by a missionary Dr. Arthur Kretchmar with the aim of providing western medicine to the Bangwaketse tribe as an entering wedge for the gospel. Kanye Adventist Hospital was the first hospital to offer western medicine to the people of Botswana (then called the Bechuanaland Protectorate). In 1947, the hospital began formerly training nurses in what was to become the Kanye Seventh-day Adventist College of Nursing which is a sister institution to the hospital. In addition, the hospital also operates a satellite clinic in a neighboring village, Moshupa Adventist Clinic.